As I was writing the last posts about Montessori friendly toys for babies, I realised that I should also write about the books I find useful for parents interested in Montessori or a Montessori approach to raising your child(ren).
Here are some of my favourites by Maria Montessori herself:
–The Absorbent Mind – this is one of the latest books she wrote before she died in 1952, it is the easiest read to understand her philosophy of education.
–The Child in the Family – I read this one while pumping milk during my training morning breaks. It is an easy read, a very interesting one to see the child through Montessori’s eyes. It is a good reminder of who the child should be in our family, its own person and not only what we want her to be.
Other books I like not about Montessori education:
- The Montessori Toddler by Simone Davies, AMI Montessori toddler teacher in the Netherlands – she is a treasure of experience and information. This book can also help you set things up in your house for your child.
- How to raise a Montessori child the Montessori way by Tom Seldin – easy explanation of what can be done at home or in Montessori class for children.
- –Montessori from the start by Lillard – this one is a basic and not too complicated to read and understand.
- –The Joyful child: Montessori Global Wisdom from Birth to Three b- Michael Olaf Montessori Company – I love this one as well, simple and very nicely explained.
Other books Montessori approved:
- Toddler discipline for Every Age and Every Stage by Aubrey Hargis – Aubrey is an experienced Montessori teacher and mom as well. She has tons of tricks and a respectful vision to help parents with discipline.
- Oh crap ! Potty training by Jamie Glowacki – this vision of potty training is what some Montessori parents apply with their children. Seeing this phase as a learning and a natural process without rewards or punishments. The author is a very entertaining, experienced educator helping parents around her.
I could go on and on but I chose to give you what is for me the simplest books to understand Montessori and to help parents raising their child in a respectful ways incorporating positive discipline and respectful parenting. I hope you will like it as much as I did.
My goal is to read even more in 2019 !!!! What about you ?